Robbers Roost

Robbers Roost
Filming for the Documentary

Friday, March 1, 2013

Bucking, farting and Mtn Dew...



First bit of fun started out with bucking, farting, and spilled Mtn Dew, then... I got out of my sleeping bag. 


I was ready for some awesome cowboy riding. My pack horse for this trip is Diesel, he is a 5 year old gelding from the Winemucca herd, I have had him here at the ranch for less than one year. I have never done any "packing" so this 3 day trip was to break me and Diesel in! Two days before I left the ranch I thought it would be wise to familiarize Diesel with the pack equipment I found out in the barn. He did great! A little spooky of the boxes, nothin he didn't figure out pretty quick. So I'm thinking "heck ya I love these Mustangs" let's go for a 3 day trip. 


So it is the first morning, I slept in just a bit to compensate for the tossing of the night before out on the desert floor of Blue John spring. Feed Diesel his favorite breakfast, grass hay on the rocks, swung the sawbuck frame on, cinched it down, all is going great, I have Diesel hobbled so he will hold still as I work around him with the pack equipment. Now it's time for the boxes, I'm a bit nervous, could he really just be ok with one time? I take it slow, letting him check check out all the new equipment, ....boxes on all is well, I'm thinking "oh ya this Pakin stuff is great" I walk over to my bedroll, it's rolled up nice and tight in a canvas liner. As I swing it up to gently place it on top of the boxes, Diesel says...what the $&@$ is that!?!? He decides it's is much safer for him to remove all newly added equipment, spins on his hind end and off he goes, bucking, farting, and punching holes in every thing!! I must have been quite the site, standing there like a school kid holding my sleeping bag watching as my "packin Mustang" proceeds to scatter my stuff all over Blue John canyon.. All I could do was stand there and watch....thinking "wish I would have held on the the lead rope". Damage, busted sawbuck pack frame, scrambled all my eggs, and poked holes in 4 of my Mtn Dews! I'm no quitter, bagged the pack boxes, took the bare necessities of survival for a two day trip, stuffed it all inside my sleeping bag, rolled up and strapped it on to what was left of the busted up sawbuck frame..ridin at the Roost is never easy, always worth it :)  ~Wild West

If you would like to support our endeavor check out our Kickstarter Project for a TV pilot on Outlaw Stories of the Wild West. The Horses and riders were all supplied by Extreme Outlaw Rides here in Utah. For more information a book is about to be released on the Sundance Kid and you can get it at Outlaw Stories of the Wild West. A Documentary on the whole project is being created by Mike Karr of Scene by Scene Productions. We thank you and Good Day!

1 comment:

  1. Haaaaahahahaah! I got a kick out of that post! Been there, done that!

    Thanks for posting that.

    ReplyDelete